Pages

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sunday Sponge

Yes! I found a recipe that's both quick and easy, and turns out really well!! I made some changes to the recipe as it called for lemon and lemon zest, but just turned that into vanilla. Who doesn't love vanilla? I think the best thing about this recipe is that it doesn't use butter. No butter = no waiting for it to get to room temperature. I'm thinking that I'm just going to cover with raspberries and strawberries with a little raspberry jam. I made 2 cakes, one for home eating and then one whole one for work. My dog is totally eyeing them for herself though. I keep on having to tell her to leave them.



They looked so good and smelt so good when they came out of the oven!! I was so excited, but then it went downhill from there. When I cut off the tops to start decorating them, I noticed this:


 Random uncooked like holes in the batter. It was so bizarre and disheartening. So I cut them in half to see the extent of the damage.... And it wasn't reassuring at all. Pretty much I had to toss them because throughout the WHOLE cake it was like that. Rubbery and uncooked, or overcooked. I'm not sure. But I do know that it's freaking weird. How can the top and edges be cooked properly but the insides be over cooked? I don't know how it happened.



My cinnamon buns from yesterday are all done and gone now. My brother picked the wax paper clean. He told me that the first one wasn't good, but by the time he tried his 2nd, 3rd and 4th piece they were amazing. No need for icing. He told me that it tasted like Chinese bakery goods. I'm excited about that. Maybe next time I'll just try to make some of those delectable treats.

Sigh. It was an utterly depressing end to an otherwise great baking day.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment